Dead Money

SELECT thoughts FROM paul ORDER BY rand()

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Reality Campaigning

For years we've had politicans promise us anything and everything to get elected. Here is South Carolina, we have a canidate that has gone beyond promises and has lost his grip on reality.

Demint proposes a national 23% sales tax
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/politics/9411748.htm

His plan call for doing away with the IRS and just having a flat sales tax. Now I'm like any other American, I don't want to pay taxes, but come on! Get rid of the IRS?? Is he insane?

First, to me, that's a crazy political move. Doing away with our current tax situation causes massive loss of jobs-CPA's, Tax Attorneys, etc. Corporations and individuals lose the incentive to give charitable contributions, so non-profit organizations will collapse.

In addition has he figured up what kind of cost 23% is?

I went to the grocery store last night for some odds and ends. I spent $33. So I paid about $1.50 in sales tax (5% in my county). With his plan I'd pay $7.50.

He claims he isn't raising taxes with this plan? I don't know about you but I don't pay that much in taxes to make up for this additional cost. Even if the numbers are close, let's talk real money.

I don't feel the money that comes out of my check each payday. I've never recieved that portion, so I've never missed it. I WILL miss $7.50 on a quick trip to the grocery store. Or the extra $80 for the washing machine we bought this weekend.

Oh and this is in addition to the state sales tax. So people in some states would be looking at a sales tax of over 30%.

Can he really think this will work?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home